Back to Basics: The Supreme Court [INFOGRAPHIC]
When you hear "The Supreme Court of the United States" ("SCOTUS"), it may sound familiar, but if you're like most Americans, you probably don't know what it is. Take a look at these statistics:
- 2/3rds of Americans can't name a single judge on The Supreme Court.
- Only 37% of Americans know that there are 9 judges on The Supreme Court.
- 28% of Americans think that decisions by The Supreme Court go to Congress for reconsideration.
- 10% of college graduates believe that Judge Judy is on The Supreme Court.
These statistics are shocking because The Supreme Court makes decisions on some of the most controversial issues in our society and those decisions can affect our daily lives. For example:
- Abortion - Roe vs. Wade was a Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal.
- Same-sex marriage - The Supreme Court's decision recognizing same-sex marriage made it legal nationwide.
- Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) - The Supreme Court's decision that the Affordable Care Act was constitutional allows it to exist today.
The Supreme Court will continue to make decisions on controversial and important issues. So, it's good to know who they are, where they come from, and how it all works. Here is a starter summary on getting to know SCOTUS.
To download the full size of the infographic, click here.